Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dorthea Ann Johnson, b 1812

Dorthea Ann Johnson b abt 1812 in Washington, KY has always intrigued me (my gggg grandmother). She married a James Samuel Elder, but we have never been able to figure out her parents. This Dorthea is found on my gg grandmother's line. However, we have another Dorthea Johnson found on my gg grandfather's line (sister of my gg grandfather). I've always thought they must somehow be related since Dorthea isn't too common of a name, even at that time. Today I found a clue!!

Thanks to some information I was given by Jerry Clark I filled in a little more of the Johnson Pedigree. Matthew Johnson had two brothers, John and Thomas. Thomas had a daughter named Mary who married a Thomas Foster.

Today as I was continuing to sort through my grandmother's information I came across a letter with cemetery and baptism records of several Elders and Johnsons. I came across this information, researched by Loretta in 1979:

"These are baptisms from Derby & Leopold:
Nov 1 1840 - Promiliana d/o Samuel James Elder & Dorthea Ann Elder b. 24 Sept 1840. Godfather Thomas Foster and Godmother Mary Ann Foster"

I think it would be very probable that Dorthea would have named her "sister", Mary Johnson Foster, daughter of Thomas Johnson and neice to Matthew Johnson, godmother. This is only a hunch but now I can look to see if there's any proof of this.

Since we think Dorthea was born around 1812, Thomas Johnson would have only been 38 at the time of her birth. I will have to look into this more. If anyone has information to prove this please comment or e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment